directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Henne <>
Subject Re: [VOTE] java 5 ?
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 20:17:58 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny schrieb:
> Hi guys,
> we are currently thinking of moving from java 1.4 to java 5. The
> question is : "When ?"
For me the question is: "Why?" :-)
There are some very good reasons for switching to 5. I'd just like to
know which ones are the key motivators.
If it is for the syntactic sugar and generics, that's fine with me.
Retrotranslator works reasonably well for those cases, just in case one
really needs a 1.4 compatible version. The library is a different kind
of beast, though, and once there is a dependency on a large number of
new library features, there's no way back.

So, I'd prefer...

[x] Let's use java 5 right now in 1.1 version (which is currently the
trunk), and this will become the 1.5 release

... with the additional caveat, to try to preserve library
backwards-compatibility as long as possible.

Joerg Henne

View raw message