Hi Emmanuel,

Hi band,

Here is the problem :

I have a BindRequest class which will be extended using the decorator pattern to add toDSML, toPDU, fromDSML and fromPDU methods. I will have two concrete decorators :
- BindRequestDsmlDecorator
- BindRequestAsn1Decorator
and of course an abstract class called BindRequestDecorator

This abstract class will contains a reference to a BindRequest object, and will implements all the BindRequest objects methods.

At this point, the question arise : why don't we have a BindRequest interface and a BindRequestImpl class? The BindRequest interface will be implemented by the BindRequestImpl and BindRequestDecorator classes.

I agree.  Providing BindRequest as an interface is a better approach.

Good idea. But then I'm a little bit annoyed by the name BindRequestImpl. So am I with the BindRequestDecorator which could have been AbstractBindRequestDecorator, as we have AbstractMessage, AbstractRequest, etc.

I hate adding 'Impl' in the end of a class name.  It makes me feel bad because:

1) I am abbreviating 'implementation'
2) It gives me an impression that it's the only implementation.

So I'd rather suggest DefaultBindRequest or SimpleBindRequest.  I prefer Default because Simple is a little bit vague.

To be short :
Q1 : Should we add an 'I' in front on interface that are not obviously seen as interfaces (like BindRequest : renamed to IBindRequest) (I mean to avoid a collision between an interface name and a class name) ?

-1

Q2 : Should we add an 'I' in front of *all* interfaces, breaking the JLS rules ? (so Message will be renamed to IMessage, even if it's obvious that Message cannot be a concrete class)

-1

Q3 : Should we add 'Abstract' in front of abstract class ?

It's not mandatory when the abstract class contains some meaningful implementation, and then it can have a different prefix.  So... it depends on context, but adding Abstract is a safe option in most cases.

Q4 : if Q1 and Q2 is *NO !!!*, then which name should we use for class which implements interface : ConcreteBindRequest, BindRequestImpl ?

My suggestion is DefaultBindRequest.

Note that I do not want to start a flamwar, I just need your opinion in order to have a consistant naming across the project.

I fully understand your point and I agree that a people should be careful when naming a class as much as naming his or her daughter.

Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* E167 E6AF E73A CBCE EE41  4A29 544D DE48 FE95 4E7E