On 9/1/06, upasana immidi <upas102@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
I would like to use ApacheDS as a DNS server (to start with). How should I go about doing it?

I have  ApacheDS running and have csuccessfully onfigured JXplorer to view the ApacheDS directory structure.

Can I configure ApacheDS as a DNS server or do I have to donwload the code and embed it within my program?

I will appreciate if some one can give me some pointers.

I am new to this list and if this is not an appropriate list tell me which one is?

For now, DNS protocol is not integrated into ApacheDS out-of-the-box IIRC, but you can integrate it easily because our DNS implementation uses JNDI API to access the underlying storage (ApacheDS in this case).  So.. what you have to do is to:

* Start ApacheDS
* Start DNS server within the same VM by instantiating DnsServer class

The DNS server source code is located here:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/directory/trunks/apacheds/protocol-dns/

You will have to learn how to use MINA a little bit and look into the source code.

Once we adopt OSGi technology, we could launch the DNS server just installing DNS OSGi bundle dynamically, but not right now.

HTH,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* E167 E6AF E73A CBCE EE41  4A29 544D DE48 FE95 4E7E