directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Gregg Freeman" <GFree...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [ADS 2.0] Detach JNDI from ApacheDS
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 16:25:00 GMT

		> 3. Support an embedded mode
		>    * But who will ever use DNS or other services
without LDAP
		> provider?  The only advantage of the embedded access
is the small
		> performance gain which might not be that important in
distributed
		> directory services.

		We really need this embeded mode. Many application will
benefit from it
		: no more complicated firwall configuration to let LDAP
go through, no
		more need to start the server before the application,
etc. It's a little
		bit like Jetty. Sometime, it's better to embrace
everything in a simple
		application.

	Well, if two run in the same machine, the client will use a
loopback device to connect to the server, so firewall shouldn't be that
much a problem.  I agree with you that embedded mode is useful, but we
can still run both in the same VM and use loopback device.  Direct
method invocation can come later.

 +1 for "embedded" (whatever that is).  We're using it just as we would
an embedded Jetty or Tomcat - we want to start it in the same JVM as our
application and have the application have control over the LDAP server's
lifecycle.  Direct method invocation isn't nearly as important as
lifecycle control, in our situation.  So, I guess it depends on what you
call "embedded".  :)  In our case it means tightly integrated, but not
invisible.

Best Regards,

Gregg