directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Can I create a root entry other than ou=system?
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 20:21:08 GMT
Stefan Zoerner wrote:
> Mbah Tenjoh-Okwen wrote:
>> Im new  to the world of Directory Services and I am using JNDI and the
>> ApacheDS. I would like to know if its possible to have a root entry
>> other than the ou=system which comes along with ApacheDS or Im bound
>> to it? If so how?
>>
>> thanks in advance
> It is necessary to have a partition called ou=system, which holds system
> related stuff (like the entry for the admin user). But as Ersin already
> explained, you can have more partitions. I just wanted to add that the
> default configuration server.xml already contains a second partition
> with suffix "dc=example,dc=com". You may use this as a template for your
> own.

Yes Stefan is right there are two partitions in the stock ApacheDS
installation.  These hang off of two roots (suffixes or namingContexts
in LDAP jargon):

ou=system
dc=example,dc=com

You can add more partitions to the server as you need or just change the
one for dc=exaple,dc=com to suite your needs.

Good luck,
Alex