directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Fixing the MINA ApacheDS dependency problem
Date Sat, 02 Sep 2006 23:47:53 GMT
Hi all,

As you know, we have dependency issues with ApacheDS and MINA which need
to be resolved.  There are several ways in which we can resolve the
problem.  However before I propose some solutions let me restate the
problem again.  Here's some dependencies which exist today:

ApacheDS
   -> MINA filter-codec-asn1 -> shared-asn1
   -> shared-asn1

ApacheDS depends on shared-asn1 through two paths as can be seen above.
  One is a direct dependency and the other is via the filter-codec-asn1
module in MINA. This makes it so the version of shared-asn1 that
ApacheDS depends on directly must be the same as the version of
shared-asn1 that is depended upon by the filter-codec-asn1 module.

There are several ways in which we can solve this problem but the key is
to be able to release this filter-codec-asn1 separately whenever changes
are made to the shared ASN.1 module.  We need to figure out how we can
release parts of MINA separately to prevent having to push a full MINA
release every time.

Other servers at the ASF will need to release different components of
MINA as changes are made to them.

Thanks,
Alex