directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject svn:externals in branches
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2006 09:31:13 GMT
Hi guys,

for the third time, I modified some code which are in release (updated MINA
headers for 0.9.4 release) because we are using svn:external in a branch,
and those svn:external point to a release, not to a branch (and because I'm
stupid, I must admit, but we should protect the project against my stupidity
:) (I'm very good as a "stupid user behavior" test).

This is DANGEROUS. We can break releases. There is no way to realize that
you are modifying a release until you have a problem, because svn properties
are not write protected. We should use externals only if we have several
branches and want to see them as unique. Pointing on release sources in a
branch should be osbolutly forbidden.

I suggest that we switch to mina jars in branch as soon as possible. It
makes sense as far as mina will become a TLP soon. For other sub-project
like shared and daemon, we are pointing on branches or trunk, so this is ok
:

apacheds https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/branches/apacheds/1.0
daemon https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/trunks/daemon
shared https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/branches/shared/0.9.5