directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Emmanuel Lecharny" <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Bug Parade #3
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:06:45 GMT
Ok, this is the third Bug Parade related to 1.0-RC4. We still have 12 bugs
remaining, which may look likes disapointing, but we have fixed 3 of them
while three new ones poped out. We have a target for 1.0-RC4 release, and
this is september 1st. It's 6 days from today, and it means we should fix 2
bugs a day :) Some of those 12 bugs may be very difficult to fix or to
reproduce, so we may postpone them to 1.0. i'm thinking of DIRSERVER-586 and
DIRSERVER-624.

Let's review the bugs :

Fixed issues since the last bug parade :
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-609 : Compare operations are
performed without Authentication : I think that Ersin has fixed this one,
but I'm not sure.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-696 : Adding entries with
RDNs enclosed in quotes may lead to entries with illegal DNs : This is mine
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-708 : The SubentryService
does not inject correct values for subentry operational attributes : New bug

JIRAs that may not be considered as bugs :
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-110 : Allow administrators
to change and set passwords for users : This is not a major issue, but a
major improvment. Can somebody states about this JIRA ?
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-177 : Bad filter makes
filter parser hang rather than throw an exception : Well, not really a very
good description of the problem, if any :) Status ?
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-178 : Embedded ApacheDS
fails on parser exception if provider URL is an actual URL : Has it been
fixed ? Status ?
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-190 : Incorrect matched DN
in the bind response (and others depending on the result code) : I think it
has been fixed a long time ago. It needs a double check.
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-331 : JAR File Contents
Cause JBoss Deployer To Fail : Has it been fixed?
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-579 : Corrupt database
causes server startup to fail: As Alex added a default "write on
modification", flag, all the data will be written on disk as soon as they
are created, modified or deleted. Is it enough ? Not sure. We may need to
implement a kind of shadow pages to guarantee that the database is always
correct, even if the server crash. In this case, the shadow pages are just
discareded, and we will just loose them. If the pages are correctly written,
then we can discard them, and consider that the database is ok. It has to be
discussed further
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-588 : ldap server is never
shut down, since ldapStarted flag is never set : status ?
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-599 : Can't compile long
schema : We have aa workaround : split the file in more than one file
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-682 : apacheds dump
command - hangs very frequently : I think that PAM has rewritten the dump
utility, and the issue may not show up again. To be tested...
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-692 : server.xml needs
fixing due to changed property name : I think I saw a commit about this
issue? Comment ?

JIRAs that really need to be fixed for RC4 (12 remaining):
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-169 : Incorrect
SearchResult name and "compare" failure using CoreContextFactory : Seems to
be a serious one. Something may have been forgotten when we switched to the
new LdapDN.
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-309 : Decoder does no give
sufficient information about errors so the LDAP server can respond with
correct result code. : A very hairy one. We have had a convo with Alex about
it, but it was before my acations. The idea was to create a specific
exception that could be handled by the interceptors, instead of a
DecoderException handled by Mina. To be fixed.
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-586 : Reliable hang of DS
during query : This one should be analyzed thoroughly. Jörg as some more
information about it. Seems to be MINA related ?
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-589 :
DefaultDirectoryService nulls members BEFORE calling
serviceListener.afterShutdown(this) : Should be easy to fix...
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-619 : NamingException
messages are thrown away by MessageHandlers : This one should be fixed in
minutes...
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-624 : Concurrency problem
when doing load tests : A tough one. Can we reproduce it? (I think we should
reproduce it in a way we can understand what happens : we need a multi-cpu
system, some data, a test we can run again and again, etc...)
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-663 : Problem creating
subContext with a Name Object. : Ok, this should be easy to fix.
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-698 : Site: Issues-URL
still points to DIREVE
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-711 : Propagate the errors
to the client if we get a DecoderException (was DIRSERVER-634) : This is
related to DIRSERVER-634, but is a generalization
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-713 : Init shell script
contains incompatible -X switch instead of -D for jmx console : Easy to fix
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-715 : Unable to match
entry by X.509 certificate
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-717 : RFC2713 integration
test fails

Bugs postponed to 1.0.1 :
* https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-257 : [Access Control]
Autonomous areas for AC must not overlap : Really complicated one. Will need
some time, and we can live without it being fixed for a little while

To be fixed in 1.1 :

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny