directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig L. Ching" <cch...@mqsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Adding an objectClass to ApacheDS
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 19:08:08 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

I just wanted to give a bit more details about the problems I was having with maven.  It didn't
seem too serious, and maybe it's normal, but it was just a bit worrisome due to my naivete
with maven ;-)

> Craig L. Ching a écrit :
>
> > That's great, thanks a lot for that!  Some comments, I see
> you're on
> > Windows as well, I was having some problems with Maven, it seems to
> > need a bit of a kick in the ass, I had to reissue the mvn install
> > command a number of times to get it all built.
>
> Be sure tu use maven 2.0.4. And be sure to do a mvn clean
> before launching a mvn install. Then if you still have pbs
> with maven, there is a kind of church where we kill chicken
> and drink their blood, while burning some blue candles in
> hope those problems vanish...  You are welcome ;)

Haha, ok.  I did use maven 2.0.4.  The errors I got were along the lines of "I couldn't download
that from that location" or "IO error while downloading that."  Just reissuing 'mvn install'
over and over seemed to get me a build, so I'm happy until I get to testing out the build
;-)

> > Once I got it built, the installers seemed to be missing
> for Windows,
> > how do I invoke the server without the binary executable (my
> > preference while developing anyway)?
>
> If you want to embed ADS, I don't think you need to build the
> installers. Here is a conference links about how to embed ADS
> in an application :
> http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Embedding+ApacheDS

Great, thanks!

> > I've since changed to building this on Linux, but I'd
> prefer to stay
> > on Windows since my laptop runs Windows and that's where I
> do a lot of
> > dev work.
>
> Cygwin rules :) But it should build on windows. Beware that
> you may encounter some problems if you use special encoding
> like ISO-8859-1. If this is the case, and if you have pbs,
> submit them to the list.

Ah, ok, I do use cygwin, but I didn't use it for this first build.  I'll give that a shot.

> Last thing, don't be afraid to get the latest version from svn :
> either from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/branches/apacheds/1.
> 0-trunks/,
> from which we will create 1.0-RC4 really soon (next week ?), or from :
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/trunks/

Yep, just started using the svn 'trunks' version ;-)  Maybe I'll change to the other one you
mention if that's going to be the next 'stable' release.  Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!

> Emmanuel

Cheers,
Craig