directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Craig L. Ching" <cch...@mqsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Adding an objectClass to ApacheDS
Date Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:36:41 GMT
Great, thanks for the info!  BTW, I'm going to be using an embedded server, once this is built,
will it include my new schema in the embeddable server?

As for the project, it's a commercial product called Q Pasa!  We monitor and manage middleware
software (e.g. IBM WebSphere MQ, IBM WebSphere App Server, and tons of other stuff).  We are
planning on using ApacheDS to do our default authentication/authorization to begin with (replacing
a legacy, home-grown solution), but we're going to be adding in the capability to find other
installations of our software so that disparate installations can be integrated (sort of hard
to explain the latter use).  I'm sure if this is successful we'll find lots of other uses
for it.  I am evaluating ADS because it is 100% pure java and it is embeddable, not to mention
that it's the Apache organization ;-)

Again, thanks for the help, I'll let you all know how I progress.

Cheers,
Craig

________________________________

	From: Emmanuel Lecharny [mailto:elecharny@gmail.com]
	Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 10:24 AM
	To: Apache Directory Developers List
	Subject: Re: Adding an objectClass to ApacheDS

	Great !

this is the right place to post.

	Extending the schema is a little bit complicated in this version, but it does not mean it's
complicated.

	Here are the steps :
	1) create your schema using OpenLdap syntax (which is RFC syntax, btw)
	2) put it in apacheds/core/src/main/schema, beside the other schemas
	3) go into apacheds/core and modify the pom.xml file :
	        <configuration>
	          <schemaSourcesDir>src/main/schema</schemaSourcesDir>
	          <schemas>
	            <schema>
	              <name>apache</name>
	              <dependencies>
	                <dependency>system</dependency>
	              </dependencies>
	            </schema>
	            <schema>
	              <name>apachedns</name>
	              <dependencies>
	                <dependency>system</dependency>
	                <dependency>core</dependency>
	              </dependencies>
	            </schema>
	here, you just add your schema, with its dependencies.
	4) now, go back to the root project and compile the project :
	mvn install
	(it will take around 3 minutes)
	5) build the binaries :
	cd apacheds/server-installers
	mvn install

	now, you can install the server with the installer that has been generated.

	If you are lost, here is a link to a page which explains the build process :
	http://docs.safehaus.org/display/APACHEDS/Building

	I think there is something sompler, but I don't know it. Anybody on the list ?

	However, if you have any pb, just push a mail. We will help you as fast as we can.

	btw, which kind of project are you working on, if it's not secret ?

	Emmanuel l├ęcharny

	On 8/23/06, Craig L. Ching < cching@mqsoftware.com <mailto:cching@mqsoftware.com>
> wrote:

		Hi!

		I realize this is the developer's list and that it's a bit early for
		ApacheDS, but I'm evaluating it for use in our products.  I'm trying to
		figure out how to extend the schema (I need to add a new objectClass),
		can anyone point me in the right direction?  I'm fine with reading some
		code to understand it.

		Cheers,
		Craig

	--