directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Apache DS build, Maven and targeting 1.0 release...
Date Mon, 31 Jul 2006 03:16:17 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> repositories are
> moving, plugins are moving, and this could break everything.

I share your frustration.

> - I want to build version X with maven plugins that have been used when
> I tagged the version X. In two years, I want those plugins to be
> available, even if they are full of bugs, just because the build has
> been validated when X tag has been created. I don't want ANY plugin to
> be updated on the fly. Is it possible ?

I think there is a way for us to do this.  Just use specific plugin
versions to stabilize the build wrt plugin variance.  This is the root
of the problem.

> - I want to build version X with the jars that have been used to create
> the version. I don't want to change the pom.xml files just because the
> remote repository has disapeared or the server name has been changed to
> something different. I don't want that somebody - for any good or bad
> reason - has modified a pom.xml of any jar just because he realized that
> something were wrong when this jar has been pushed on the maven repository.
> That means we *must* have our own private local repository with all the
> jars used by a version tagged and stored on subversion, and that we
> *NEVER* download a jar from a remote repository. Remote repository
> totally break the notion of reliable build.

Forgive me bro but I disagree with this idea.  I just think we're not
using maven properly.  Maven has it's issues but overall we're not
tuning our build to make it work consistently with updates to plugins in
the repository.  We can do better and have some advice from the other
emails I've seen.

> Those two conditions are mandatory. If one of them is missing, then we
> should push a request to maven to fix something. If it's not possible
> before we release ADS 1.0, then we may consider switching to another
> build tool.

I'm open to other tools but only after we have grasped the use of the
current build tool's features better.  I don't think we've done that
(speaking more for myself).  Also what's scary is I'm perhaps one of the
most Maven savvy on this team besides Brett Porter.

*wish* :)
I really wish Brett had the time to step in and show us some tricks to
help fix these problems (hint hint).

> - Surfire should be improved to store errors in a separate directory
> than success. When you have something like dozens tests in a directory,
> this is painfull to check all of them to know which ones have failed
> (but this is a maven issue, not an apacheds problem ;)

I totally agree, this is one of my biggest issues with this plugin.

Alex