directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS Maven POM and inherited dependencies
Date Sun, 30 Jul 2006 06:23:24 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Now, I don't know exactly why this should become a problem when adding
> those osgi projects. May be th eproblem is not the dependency itself,
> but the project structure, and may be we should reorganize it to ease
> your integration?

Some details on the problem:  Through Maven 2 transitive dependencies,
the OSGi bundles end up getting antlr, commons-collections,
commons-lang, shared-asn1, and shared-ldap embedded inside of them.  The
difference in size is, for example, 100K bulked up to 2MB.  All because
of the dep on shared-ldap.  Now, we could do what I did in a number of
the bundles and exclude everything that's not needed but that is a messy
solution and it only treats the symptoms.

I like the idea of revamping the project structure.  This would also
address an opinion I stated recently, that we should rev the
protocol-providers separate from the core, to reflect their varying
levels of functional state:  Kerberos and Change Password are in good
shape, DNS and NTP are OK, DHCP won't do much for you.

Enrique