directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Henne <jo...@bawue.de>
Subject Re: Apache DS build, Maven and targeting 1.0 release...
Date Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:44:24 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny schrieb:

> So, now, we have some points we need to discuss :
> - we don't have Maven active experts right now, and may be some of you
> would give us a hand to address those problems
> - the need of a local repo, where all the jars are stored, and
> versionned, seems to me mandatory
> - plugins should be - like jars - versionned
> - offline mode must be the default
>
> Ok, this is my opinion. I'm sure that you may agree on some points,
> and disagree on others. I just want to start this dicussion on the ML,
> as we now have some more committers, and we need to find a way to
> stabilize the build before 1.0.
>
> Feel free to express what you think, and it can be as radical as
> "Let's move to ant + ivy". I think that some decision will lead to a
> vote at some point.
I've become increasingly disenchanted with maven myself. And I fully
agree: the main problem I see with it, is the fact that remote
repositories are inherently brittle and unreliable. Using a private
repository fixed this problem for me (and my team), but as you
mentioned: the plugins suffer from the same problem, albeit not as severely.

Joerg Henne