directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS Maven POM and inherited dependencies
Date Sat, 29 Jul 2006 21:39:17 GMT
John E. Conlon a écrit :
<snip/>

>Inside the trunks/apacheds/pom.xml one dependency is specified.
> <dependency>
>      <groupId>org.apache.directory.shared</groupId>
>      <artifactId>shared-ldap</artifactId>
>      <version>0.9.6-SNAPSHOT</version>
></dependency>
>
>And this dependency and its transitive dependencies cascade down the
>inheritance chain adversely effecting children that don't need shared-
>ldap (and its transitives) - like the osgi projects.
>
>This kind of dependency is not a good thing to have in a ancestor pom
>unless all its descendants need it

All its descendants need it, atm :) (Well, not exactly true, because we
have many protocol-xxx projects that don't need this jar)

>, and that is not the case for
>apacheds.

Well, may be the problem is not the apacheds sub-project itslef, but the
fact that sub-sub projects like protocolas are into apacheds sub-project ?

>So that dep needs to be removed from the
>trunks/apacheds/pom.xml and placed only in the descendant poms that
>really need to use it. Once done my patches will not be needed and we
>will still keep a nice inheritance chain up to the root pom.xml.

hmmm. That would be a little but ennoying. almost of apacheds descendant
need this dependence. Having it spreaded to 10 to 15 subprojetcs will
drive us directly to build problems if we updgrade shared-ldap jar. But
this is something we can do.

Now, I don't know exactly why this should become a problem when adding
those osgi projects. May be th eproblem is not the dependency itself,
but the project structure, and may be we should reorganize it to ease
your integration?

Emmanuel