directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ersin Er <ersin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Doing away with JNDI interface
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:59:18 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> The attempt to make JNDI the default interface for embedding the server
> is costing too much in overhead and complexity.  I would like the 1.1
> branch to make the core use a non-JNDI based interfaces as the primary
> means to embed ApacheDS.
>
> A JNDI wrapper can be designed around the core to support the JNDI
> facade.  Both Emmanuel and Trustin recommended this but now it's
> finally sinking into my thick head.
>
> There is too much of an overhead incurred to maintain the balance
> between simplicity and JNDI requirements.
>
> WDYT?
JNDI has a few drawbacks:

1. It requires too much plumbing for implementing the SPI.
2. JNDI to Core conversion is complicated as it's implemented currently.
3. It is not easy to use as a client side API.
4. It's not LDAP specific, but a general one.

So I favor switching to a new LDAP oriented, lightweight, and easy to
use API and provide a JNDI adaptor if needed.
--
Ersin