directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <>
Subject [ApacheDS] Bind performance
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 03:39:25 GMT
Hi all,

Real World Tests

Over the weekend I ran a few benchmarks to first get a baseline for
ApacheDS performance.  I used a canned benchmark (job) from SLAMD for

This test is more real world than doing just a bind operation.  This
test does a bind, search for some stuff, then an unbind.  Here are the
results of this test:

We've got a lot of room for improvement but it's not really that bad for
a Java based server.

Stress Testing for Optimization

I realized that I want to isolate specific pathways in the server not so
much for real world tests but to be able to control the inputs when
profiling the server.

I really wanted to dissect the Bind operation for starters.  To do so I
wrote my own SLAMD job class.  This was pretty neat.  I have to give the
SLAMD developers credit. IT WORKS! I should have used this tool before.

Anyway my new slamd test which opens a new connection then does a bind
after bind etc is here:

These results are summarized here even though you can sift through slamd
to find them:

The a YourKit CPU snapshot with full profiling against this test is here:

View raw message