directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Lowering barrier for perspective committers
Date Sat, 15 Jul 2006 22:20:01 GMT
John E. Conlon wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 14:48 -0400, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Alex you mentioned documentation and an internals class that you were
> planing. Have you seen Peter Kriens blog entry
> http://www.osgi.org/blog/2006/04/details-are-important-when-you-are.html
> on a style of documentation suitable for component and service
> development?

This is one of Peter's better blog entries.  I am strongly in favor of
developing documentation in the manner Peter recommends.

> Since Enrique has implemented the fundamental components of the ADS OSGi
> framework in the 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT,  perhaps we could concentrate on
> documenting these components (and thus the major building blocks of ADS)
> in the fashion similar to what Peter has suggested in his blog? For your
> internals class (and the web site) we could use this documentation as
> the high level horizontal documentation. For the details of the
> internals you can drill down conceptually and graphically into each
> component revealing more details the deeper you go.
>
> The horizontal documentation will be targeted to system engineers,
> component assemblers, and system administrators while the internals will
> provide the additional details needed for developers.
>
> WDYT?

This will be a great start.  As John alludes to, there is mostly a 1:1
relationship between ApacheDS module and OSGi bundle, with some commons
bundles thrown in to deal with class leakage and some OSGi standard
services.  We can start with the "big grained" bundles and, over time
("decade," as Alex said) break them into smaller bundles and add service
interfaces where we need to make ApacheDS pluggable.

Enrique