directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ApacheDS trunk: JDK1.4/unit test/normalisation issues
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2006 07:49:57 GMT
Norbet Reilly a écrit :

> My apologies, reinstating the normalisation service did remove the
> problems resolving ou=system.

> I now need to work out how to most efficiently get hold of the
> un-normalised name I need to drive my custom partition mapping, will
> most probably need to do:
>
> LdapDN origDN = new LdapDN(dn.getUpName());

This will produce the very same DN. LdapDN stores two forms of the DN :
- a normalized DN form
- a user provided DN, and you get this form using dn.getUpName(), but
it's a String.

For instance, if you do :
LdapDN dn = new LdapDN( "Ou   =    SySteM" )
then
dn.toString() produce "ou=system"
and
dn.getUpName produce "Ou   =    SySteM"

The LdapDN.normalize() does something a little bit different : it
creates an internal form acceptable by the server, where all attribute
types are transformed into OIDs, and attribute values are mdified in
respect with their MatchingRule.

> which doesn't seem that efficient. Would it make sense to have
> LdapDN.normalise() cache the original value and make it available via
> say LdapDN.getUpDN() to make this case more efficient. Any custom
> partitions doing DN mapping will need access to the original text
> rather then OIDs.

Th eoriginal text is available thorugh LdapDN.getUpName().

> In particular I've already found LdapDN.getUpNamePrefix()/Suffix()
> useful, is there any objection to making them public (they're
> currently private)?

I didn't wrote thos classes, because there was a problem : doing so mean
you keep a track of each RDN position in UPName in order to truncate the
string correctly :
if UPname : dC = Example, Ou =  coM
to get the prefix (ou=com), you will have to 'remember' the position of
the coma. We do not store that information.

If needed, we can extend LdapDN to do so.
However, if you do a getPrefix(), a new UPName will be created from each
RDN UPName stored (we also store UPnames for each RDN, but it may be
trimmed), so doing :
dn.getPrefix() produce : " Ou =  coM" I guess.

Emmanuel