directory-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Scott <Richard.Sc...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [discussion] Lowering barrier for perspective committers
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2006 03:03:58 GMT
<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
I've been "pondering my navel" since this thread appeared, trying to
decide if I should follow of the lead of the only other person I've
seen "jump into the fray".&nbsp; I only recently subscribed to this list,
and I did so primarily because I was attracted by the "mix of
ingredients".&nbsp; While I haven't participated in an open source community
before, I have spent most of the past 12 years or so involved in some
pretty heavy-duty "security-related" development projects - and also
introduced a former employer to the wonders of Kerberos more than ten
years ago (to extinguish the "rsh" abomination!!)&nbsp;&nbsp; So, since I haven't
seen anybody else dive into the Kerberos pool,&nbsp; I might do so if you
guys are really interested in having a little company there.&nbsp; At this
point, I've looked at the [Kerberos] code only superficially, but there
doesn't appear to be a plethora of documentation there.&nbsp; Is this a
perceived area of need?<br>
Cheers ... Richard<br>
Timothy Bennett wrote:
 cite="mid402526aa0607062144y216d35cfp98870ab9f57b1f60@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">On 7/6/06, <b class="gmail_sendername">Alex Karasulu</b>
&lt;<a href="mailto:aok123@bellsouth.net">aok123@bellsouth.net</a>&gt;
wrote:
 style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left:
1ex;">The
number of active committers on Apache Directory Server is dwindling<br>
and we have many areas where a single developer has been working alone.<br>
Some email threads have tried to address the issue of the lack of
enough
committers in specific areas: see threads [0] &amp; [1].&nbsp;&nbsp;So we are<br>
suffering mostly in the following areas:<br>
o OSGi effort,<br>
o Kerberos protocol development,<br>
o Changepw protocol development,<br>
o DHCP protocol development, and
o DNS protocol development.</blockquote>
As a former committer at Apache Avalon Merlin project and a current
committer at Apache Felix, I'm highly interested in the OSGi effort at
Apache Directory, and I'd like to be a part of helping in that effort.&nbsp;
However, I know next to nothing about the internals of ADS, but I'm
willing to learn.&nbsp; And a good way may be to dig in and help document
the code.
&nbsp;</div>
-- <br>
timothy