directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: ASN.1 Implementation
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2006 16:05:12 GMT
Dale Peakall wrote:
> Hi, could I enquire about the status of the ASN.1 implementation used
> by Apache DS for it's LDAP implementation?
>
> In the web-site and associated documentation I see reference to
> several different ASN.1 implementations: snikers, twix, snacc4j etc.
> Which implementation is being used by ApacheDS?  Is it suitable as a
> general purpose ASN.1 implementation?  e.g. does it support explicit
> as well as implicit encodings (or is it the other way round - I
> remember that X.500 only uses one - but can't remember which).
>
> Is the LDAP implementation a hand-rolled parser, or is it generated
> from an ASN.1 compiler?  Is there an ASN.1 compiler that can generate
> code that is compatible with the ASN.1 implementation?

Hi Dale.  ATM, all the ASN.1 encoders/decoders are hand crafted.
Emmanuel Lecharny and I have been goofing around w/ a compiler for the
past year or two but never have had enough time to generate a critical
mass.  We got together at ApacheCon EU the other week and have a renewed
vigor in spite of our lack of free time; i.e. we have a lot of good
intentions.

It would be fantastic if you wanted to help in our effort!

Regards,
Alan