directory-dev mailing list archives

From Dale Peakall <d...@peakall.com>
Subject ASN.1 Implementation
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2006 15:57:06 GMT
Hi, could I enquire about the status of the ASN.1 implementation used by
Apache DS for it's LDAP implementation?

In the web-site and associated documentation I see reference to several
different ASN.1 implementations: snikers, twix, snacc4j etc.  Which
implementation is being used by ApacheDS?  Is it suitable as a general
purpose ASN.1 implementation?  e.g. does it support explicit as well as
implicit encodings (or is it the other way round - I remember that X.500
only uses one - but can't remember which).

Is the LDAP implementation a hand-rolled parser, or is it generated from
an ASN.1 compiler?  Is there an ASN.1 compiler that can generate code
that is compatible with the ASN.1 implementation?

Thanks.

Dale.