directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <>
Subject [ApacheDS] Forking JDBM
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2006 10:13:40 GMT

While profiling the server searching for memory leaks I found some
problems in JDBM where it manages a free list (LinkedList of BlockIo
elements).  JDBM seems to grow this list and hold BlockIo objects with
8K chunks of buffers which are not freed when available memory is low.
This leads to a large amount of memory consumption forcing the jvm to gc
frequently which kills performance.  Don't know how to fix this at the
present moment but there's got to be a simple way to fix this problem.

Right now there's not much we can do but go into the the JDBM code to
fix it.  The JDBM community is virtually dead.  There has been very
little activity there.  Rather than trying to get them to work on our
issues I'd like to fork JDBM for these reasons:

1). It's tiny ~10K LOC
2). It can be optimized for ApacheDS' needs
3). The JDBM community developers can come here if they like
4). Don't think incubating JDBM will work because of the dead community
5). JDBM is BSD licensed which means we can fork it

View raw message