directory-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Henne <j.he...@levigo.de>
Subject Re: [discussion] Lowering barrier for perspective committers
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 15:35:55 GMT
Hi all,

Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Thanks Jörg.  You are one of those bright people on the periphery that
> I would like coming closer to the core as a committer.  We need more
> people especially on things like DHCP where we only have a single
> committer at this point in time.
Most of these days, I don't feel bright at all, but thanks anyway - I
can use some motivation. :-)
> The strategy also needs a fresh new update.  But to sum it up quickly
> here we're trying to implement a directory server however we want it
> to have plugins that allow it to do other protocols needed to replace
> Active Directory with a free Apache solution.
>
> So ApacheDS is much more than LDAP as you have observed.  However we
> need to make this perfectly clear on our website.
Yes, "we want to be able to replace MS-AD" is great as a goal or
strategy, as it makes it very clear what has to be done to get there.
However, besides the MSAD-replacement, I think that the possibility to
embed a directory with an application server is another important goal.

> Even some code has virtually no internal documentation.  A lurker just
> pointed this out to me a while back regarding the Kerberos code.  Any
> kind of help even with documentation would be appreciated.  BTW
> committers need not just be code committers IMO.
We'll see, what I can do about that on the Wiki. Maybe the "usage
scenarios" thing would be a good start...
>> A few days ago I posted a question (without getting an answer) about
>> storing the partition configuration on the system partition.
> I'm really sorry about this.  I've been slipping a lot lately with my
> responsiveness to this list.  This is why building up the community
> with some cross instruction on the core internals of the server is so
> important.
No problem. This wasn't meant as a complaint, but rather a hint that I'd
still like to learm something about the issue.
> Funny I did this a while back intending to put almost all the
> configuration into the system partition minus some smart defaults.
> However some of the OSGi work will replicate some of this so I did not
> prioritize this high enough to complete it.
Good to hear that. I saw a mention of the system partition in the
AD/OSGi presentation and therefore already hoped for OSGi to pick up the
idea again.
> Right I follow you here.  Well let's see where this discussion goes
> and if it leads to the lowering of the barrier to entry for new
> committers.  I'd like to see you get involved in making sure the SAR
> is working properly (we had some issues here) and that the DHCP server
> is being developed actively.
Ok, thanks, so I'll try to fuel the respective discussions.

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> I think that it should be very clear : ADS want to be a LDAP server,
> LdapV3 compliant, written in Java. This is it. Ok, there are other
> targets, too, like being a good place to experiment X500 extensions,
> etc, but first we must get this 1.0 release out ! We need to be rock
> solid. We need to be simple to use.
Well, kerberos, NTP, DHCP et. al. go way beyond LDAP. But that's ok,
since that is coherent with the long-term goal to be able to replace
MS-AD. But besides that I strongly sympathize with the "rock solid" and
"simple to use" goals, since we (my team) intend to use ADS in
production environments in the not-so-distant future.

Joerg Henne