directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Lowering barrier for perspective committers
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:30:15 GMT
John E. Conlon a écrit :

>On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 09:43 -0400, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>

>>The number of active committers on Apache Directory Server is dwindling
>>and we have many areas where a single developer has been working alone.
>>Some email threads have tried to address the issue of the lack of enough
>>committers in specific areas: see threads [0] & [1].
>>

>I seem to have had a ringside seat on these.  Apologies if I contributed
>adversely to causing a break.

No, not at all ! I just posted this mail because afeter having long
discussion with Osgi gurus at ApacheCon EU, I wanted to know the current
status of dev being done in this area. I'm sorry if you felt like having
done somthing wrong. May be my english was a little bit chaotic and
didn't expressed whar I had in mind ?

>>So we are
>>suffering mostly in the following areas:
>>
>>o OSGi effort,
>>

>Would help out all I can to move this forward. Unfortunately the OSGi
>effort is an effort that requires a big picture view of ADS internals
>and project direction. My ignorance of both has impeded my efforts to
>help with much with the OSGi effort to date.

Ahha... This is one of the main concern. We need more documentation,
that's obvious.

> <snip/>
>
>>As for new committers, I think we need to lower the barrier for
>>committership while safely integrating these committers into our
>>committer base.  One key need is to provide the proper guidance while
>>reviewing their activity.  Up to now we've been getting several
>>contributions and many are just collecting up in JIRA.
>>

>Yes, although most of the OSGi related issues I added were not commented
>on by active comitters, I felt it best to just get them in to JIRA to
>notify anyone else attempting to work with ADS and OSGi about what
>problems and issues they may encounter.

Yeah, because we are not a string and large community. We are working
beside fixing ADS,  and we just don't have enough time...

>>Possible Drawbacks
>>==================
>>
>>o Needs some upfront initiative.
>>o More process to deal with?
>>o Will probies feel like second class committers? Are there social
>>ramifications?
>>

>Of course by definition they are just that.

A "probitter" is not a second class committer. Sometime it cost much
more time to fix a pb because a wrong pice of soft has been committed
than simply read the commit before. I remember many of my bad commits,
and I do think that receiving a "please rollback" make you feel much
more crappy because
1) you have done a mistake and
2) someone else has lost some time because of you...
I really buy this "probitters" stuff, even for old committers.

>But that is okay! IMO
>'second class committer' or 'mentored committer' sounds better than
>'probie';-)

Probitters ? :)

>>Thoughts? Comments?
>>

>Would be happy to help out the ADS effort anyway I can.

Welcome in board !

Emmanuel