directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Lowering barrier for perspective committers
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 20:22:00 GMT
Jörg Henne a écrit :

> Alex,
>
> although I don't really aspire to become a AD committer, I'd like to
> emphasize how important your observation is. I've been working with AD
> for some time now, albeit very intermittendly.
> My experience is that the learning curve is quite steep and the
> barrier of entry somewhat high, due to the following two reasons:
>
> o The lack of documentation. The AD documentation seems quite
> fragmented. In places where there is documentation, it is rather good
> (e.g. authentication), but in other places it is severely lacking. In
> particular with respect to what I would call the "big picture" or
> "strategy" and the core design. Therefore I'm looking forward to your
> effort of creating educational material about this.
>
> o This strategy, big picture or whatever you want to call it, is the
> second problem area I see. The documentation and web site doesn't
> clearly convey where AD wants to go.

I think that it should be very clear : ADS want to be a LDAP server,
LdapV3 compliant, written in Java. This is it. Ok, there are other
targets, too, like being a good place to experiment X500 extensions,
etc, but first we must get this 1.0 release out ! We need to be rock
solid. We need to be simple to use.

> This may be due to the fact that it doesn't want to go anywhere
> particular (i.e. live happily in the "base technology" area). Still I
> think it is crucial to be able to ship a base package which is useful
> in itself and is designed with a particular goal in mind.
> To give you an example of what I'm thinking of:
> A few days ago I posted a question (without getting an answer)

Yeah, sorry about it. I read it, get stuck with no answer, and, being
tired by trepidous work being on to finish performance tests for
ApacheCon EU, well, I forgot to answer something like : "Sorry, I don't
know, we will try to find out an answer, be patient". My bad...

> about storing the partition configuration on the system partition.
> This has clearly been part of the vision once
> (ou=partitions,ou=configuration,ou=system), but has never been
> implemented as far as I can see, and has never been documented as
> missing. So, why did I ask this question? In order to be able to ship
> a self-contained AD-SAR for JBoss, there has to be a way of
> configuring it. Currently the configuration lives within the SAR which
> is quite inconvenient, since I want the SAR to be a ZIP, not a
> directory. To solve this, one could either invent a proprietary
> configuration format (in contrast to the standard but inconvenient
> jboss-service.xml) and place the configuration in JBoss's conf
> directory or go straight for what I think would be the "nice"
> solution, i.e. store the configuration in the system partition.
>
> What I can do, is to offer some help in two specific areas: the DHCP
> server and the SAR packaging:
>
> o With respect to to the SAR packaging I already outlined a few
> problems I see with its current state. I made some changes to it in
> order to make it work at all, but I think that a lot more changes
> whould be necessary in order to make in genuinely and generally useful.
>
> o I have worked quite a bit on the DHCP server. The problem is that we
> currently don't really need a full DHCP server in our yet, but just a
> PXE proxy DHCP server. Nevertheless, a full implementation may be one
> of our future goals and my code already contains quite a lot of what
> would be needed for the full implementation.

Any help is welcome !
 We need energy, enthousiasm, and more committers :)

Emmanuel