directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: [discussion] Lowering barrier for perspective committers
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:51:11 GMT
John E. Conlon wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 09:43 -0400, Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> The number of active committers on Apache Directory Server is dwindling
>> and we have many areas where a single developer has been working alone.
>> Some email threads have tried to address the issue of the lack of enough
>> committers in specific areas: see threads [0] & [1].
> I seem to have had a ringside seat on these.  Apologies if I contributed
> adversely to causing a break.

This whole OSGi effort was an undercurrent due to the inexperience of
some to engage the rest of the community.  Nothing we cannot fix by just
talking to each other though.  The key is not to have isolated groups
within a community that is already small.

>> So we are
>> suffering mostly in the following areas:
>>
>> o OSGi effort,
> Would help out all I can to move this forward. Unfortunately the OSGi
> effort is an effort that requires a big picture view of ADS internals
> and project direction. My ignorance of both has impeded my efforts to
> help with much with the OSGi effort to date.

No problem! No one person has the whole picture crystal clear.  We can
do this together.  It will take everyone to form this picture.  This is
why collaboration and communication are so important especially with the
OSGi initiative.

>> As for new committers, I think we need to lower the barrier for
>> committership while safely integrating these committers into our
>> committer base.  One key need is to provide the proper guidance while
>> reviewing their activity.  Up to now we've been getting several
>> contributions and many are just collecting up in JIRA.
> Yes, although most of the OSGi related issues I added were not commented
> on by active comitters,

Without an introduction to what is going on, it is very difficult for us
to piece together the meaning of specific JIRA issues.

I felt it best to just get them in to JIRA to
> notify anyone else attempting to work with ADS and OSGi about what
> problems and issues they may encounter.

This was good to do however the email from Emmanuel shows how people
want to know what is happening rather than seeing a JIRA issue fly by.
You're response to Emmanuel's email was exactly what we needed.

>> o Will probies feel like second class committers? Are there social
>> ramifications?
> Of course by definition they are just that. But that is okay! IMO
> 'second class committer' or 'mentored committer' sounds better than
> 'probie';-)

Noted. "mentored committer" sounds fine.

>> Thoughts? Comments?
> Would be happy to help out the ADS effort anyway I can.

Great! I am looking forward to you getting more involved.  And keep on
approaching the community about the OSGi goals you have.  Keep us
updated and try to get people to bite on the OSGi bug.  It is critical
for the success of this OSGi effort to get the rest of the committership
educated about your, and Enrique's goals.

Alex