directory-dev mailing list archives

From Trygve Laugstøl <tryg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [discussion] Lowering barrier for perspective committers
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 15:54:47 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Over the past few weeks I've been thinking of ways in which we can
> increase the participation of existing committers while attracting new
> committers in a safe manner.

[snip]

> Possible Drawbacks
> ==================
>
> o Needs some upfront initiative.
> o More process to deal with?
> o Will probies feel like second class committers? Are there social
> ramifications?
> o Will this mean more work for existing committers?
> o ... please add more here

I'd like to add: Way more load on the existing developers.

[snip]

We had the same issue over at the Maven project and what we did was that
we started to classify issues into three different categories:

* Novice
* Intermediate
* Expert

This was done with acustom JIRA field. Then we added this to a
Confluence page using the JIRA seach xml output, see [1]. This gives the
lurking developer some possibly low-hanging fruits to pick and the more
experienced one a bit thougher ones. The level is not set by default so
a comitter once in a while has to go through the issue list and classify
them. This gives the classification scheme decent quality. Adding
implementation hints is also useful.

On the frontpage of maven.apache.org there is a "How to help" link that
links to [2] that explains the process outlined above. [2] links to [1]
again.

[1]: http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVEN/How+To+Help
[2]: http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-m2-development.html

--