directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Timothy Bennett" <timothy.eugene.benn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Separating API and binding
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 18:01:34 GMT
On 7/20/06, Ceki Gülcü <listid@qos.ch> wrote:

> I have started to play with OSGI, in particular OSCAR. From the little I
> could gather, while separation into API+Binding jars can be a requirement
> under some circumstances, it is not a requirement for OSGI.
>
> For example, the servlet API is delivered as a separate jar file because
> otherwise web-servers would not be able to isolate web-applications.
>
> Since I brought the issue up, I am not against the jar separation approach
> but I am still unsure whether jar separation is required/advantageous in
> an
> OSGI context.

You are correct, of course.  Not a requirement at all.  In fact, bundle
developers who are attempting to keep their service "simple" prefer (I
think) to package the API along with it's implementation.  OSGi, while
initially target for device and mobile deployments, is quickly finding
itself appropriate for many other solution domains -- including the
enterprise.  In situations where you may have a number of possible
implementations (as their own bundle) of a common API, it might would be an
advantage to have a separate API.

I think it is context driven with neither way being the right/best way.  Not
sure that helps with any packaging decisions! :)

--
timothy