directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Timothy Bennett" <timothy.eugene.benn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Separating API and binding
Date Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:46:52 GMT
On 7/16/06, Ceki Gülcü <listid@qos.ch> wrote:

> I think it would be somewhat cleaner to separate the API in its own
> jar file. Thus, we would have
>
> slf4j-api.jar (just the API with no particular binding)
>
> slf4j-nop.jar    (only the nop binding, no API)
> slf4j-simple.jar (only the simple binding, no API)
> slf4j-jdk14.jar (only the jdk14 binding, no API)
> slf4j-jul.jar (only the jul binding, no API)

I'm a big fan of separation of API and implementation artifacts.  When you
write components that plugin to a runtime (such as what you have with IoC),
separation like this makes it nicer for the component to compile against an
API and the runtime to provide the implementation(s).

For instance, with OSGi, the implementation(s) of the Logging Service could
provide the slf4j implementation(s), while individual bundles only have to
be concerned with a dep on the slf4j-api.

Steven McConnell sold me on this approach a long time ago, and I still think
it's a good idea.

--
timothy