directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Lowering barrier for perspective committers
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 19:35:53 GMT
Hey Guys,

I try to do things in parallel as much as possible, so
whenever I see something on ADS that has synergy with
stuff I'm doing, I go ahead and add to both.  Thus
when I'm learning about ADS, I take the time to post
updates on the documentation as well.  I'm sure a lot
of other people would do the same.  Like Alex said,
this of coarse requires that they are aware of and how
understanding of the various subprojects within ADS.

I'm going to propose some structural things here.

First Overall Project Principals
- Simplicity, Visibility, Repeatability

Second Small project structures (Lego Blocks) made
from maven archetypes.

Clearly stated knowledge requirements for each
archetype.

So let me elaborate a little and make it more
concrete.

I'll use the testing archetype I just started and put
on JIRA as an example.

This is a type, like a java type except it creates a
starting project structure for a specific type of
project, for a project used in performance testing
ADS.  Someone wanting to performance test ADS from
scratch, would create an instance of this maven
archetype, and use it to do the performance test.

The important thing about it is that it gives
developers a clear unambigous starting point for
testing ADS.

Since it is created for a specific purpose its pretty
easy to document it and explain how it works.

Also because of the way it's defined, it's easy to
extend the work to other areas of testing and even
other servers.

It minimizes any setup work for the developer in doing
the performance test.

Since many instances of the archetype can be created,
testing done with specific goals in mind can be
isolated to an archetype instance, with a standardized
way of documenting and interpreting results.

It makes the people making the archetype really put
some thought into minimizing work for everyone else.

This in turn is easy to build on for everyone in the
community, because everyone would start getting used
to archetypes.

So for any project there would be a clearly defined
starting point communicated through the structure of
the archetype.

So by combining these structures and the general maven
capabilities, most of the documentation for the
project can be generated.  Then some high level
directional stuff added on top for over the trees
visibility.

I would also add use cases for each archetype, and the
instances of the archetype, as well as how these fit
in with the overall direction of the server.  Make
this standardized in templates so that its generally
understood that all the projects should follow this
template standard.

Whenever I update the performance testing archetype,
I'll add these ideas to the documentation so that what
I'm saying becomes more concrete, and it will be a
little easier to see the value in it.  If you check
out the documentation for the project, you'll see that
it's written in a breadcrumb like fashion, making it
easy for anyone to see where I started and how I got
the where it is now.  I always add to this before I do
coding or anything.  This lets me see my thoughts in
words, thus I'm doing a self check, before actually
doing any implementation.  It facilitates my thought
process and makes it

simple

for others to follow in a

repeatable