directory-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Ersoy <ole_er...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Performance testing - Next Steps
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2006 18:47:05 GMT
Hey Guys,

I just put together a next steps section in the
documentation.apt document.

If you like looking at the HTML version of the apt
document, just take this text and paste it at the end
of the document.

Then run mvn site.

Here it is:

* Next Steps

** Update the dependencies on the
ads.performance.archetype testing

     Add the ADS api project dependencies to the
dependencies list of the performance.testing.archetype
pom.

     This is so the unit tests can access the API.

** Create one or more baseline LDIF file(s)

    The performance.ldif file in the input directory
is currently empty.
    One or more of these files should be created, such
that the unit
    tests can run them.

    We were also discussing creating a mojo that can
generate these files, or
    using SLAMD.  It would be great to have a mojo
that just wrapped SLAMD,
    that way the we can just create another input
directory for the file
    SLAMD uses to generate the LDIF files, and this
would automatically
    be run during the generate sources phase of the
maven lifecycle.

** Create the ADS Testing Setup

    The following setup should be done in the public
void SetUp() method of each unit test contained in the
peformance.testing.archetype archetype.

    * Create an instance of the server.xml
configuration contained in the archetype input
directory
    * Create an instance of ADS.
    * Configure the ADS instance with the server.xml
instance.
    * Configure the ADS instance with the server.xml
instance.
    * Run each unit test with the configured ADS
instance.

** Write the ADS Unit Tests

   I think there are unit tests already, so now we
just need to sanitize them so that they provide a
suitable
   starting point, and put them in the archetype's
unit testing directory, along with
ADSPerformanceTest.java,
   which is currently just the default test that comes
with any generic maven project.

** SLAMD LDIF Generation mojo Command

     The command below will create a baseline for the
ldif generation mojo:

     mvn archetype:create
-DgroupId=org.apache.ads.peformance.testing.ldif.generation.mojo
-DartifactId=ldif.generation.mojo
-DarchetypeArtifactId=maven-archetype-mojo

** Completing the Mojo

    The mojo needs to perform the following activities
(This is rough):

    * Read the configuration file for generating the
ldif files (Delegate to SLAMD)
    * Generate the files (Delegate to SLAMD)

*** Creating another directory for the SLAMD
configuration file(s)

    Please see the general instructions for creating
the performance testing archetype.

    For now we'll assume we have the directory
inputs/slamd/configuration
    available, and that it contains a baseline
configuration file for generating ldif file(s)
    called "slamd.cfg".

*** Specify the location of the SLAMD configuration
files in the mojo

    private static final String
SLAMD_CONFIGURATION_FILE_LOCATION =
"inputs/slamd/slamd.cfg";
    private static final String
SLAMD_GENERATION_OUTPUT_DIRECTORY = "inputs/ldif/;

*** Binding the Mojo to the maven lifecycle in the
performance.testing.archetype archetype

    The ldif.generation.mojo now needs to be bound to
the maven lifecycle's generate source phase.

    This is done in the code of the mojo:

    /**
     * @goal generate
     * @phase generate-sources
     * @description Generates the ldif file(s) and
puts them in the ldif input directory
     */

** Updating the pom of the
performance.testing.archetype archetype

    Open the
src/main/resources/archetype-resources/pom.xml and add
the following build section right under the
dependencies section
    (I think ADS is using JDK 1.5, so I added that to
the configuration of the compiler plugin - this should
be set to the
    version of the JDK used):

      <build>
		<plugins>
			<plugin>
				<configuration>
					<source>1.5</source>
					<target>1.5</target>
				</configuration>
			</plugin>
			<plugin>

<groupId>org.apache.ads.peformance.testing.ldif.generation.mojo</groupId>

<artifactId>ldif.generation.mojo</artifactId>
                <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <id>generate</id>
                        <goals>
                        	<goal>generate</goal>
                        </goals>
                    </execution>
                </executions>
            </plugin>
		</plugins>
	</build>

* Testing the Mojo with the performance testing
archetype

    The process is the same as before.  We do:

    mvn archetype:create
-DarchetypeVersion=1.0-SNAPSHOT
-DarchetypeGroupId=org.apache.ads.archetypes
-DgroupId=mavenComplainsIfWeDontGiveOneButWeDontNeedOne
-DarchetypeArtifactId=ads.performance.testing
-DartifactId=ads.sample.performance.testing

    However, now before we run tests the mojo will
create the ldif files for us.

    Thus the file names that the mojo creates, must be
used in the setup of the
    tests.

    This would make it attractive to perhaps create
multiple archetypes for
    specific tests, that are just slight variations of
eachother.

    That way we don't need to change too much stuff in
the setup section
    of each testing project.

--- Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> [...]
> >> launchable via test
> >> cases.  We might have to fork an instance of it.
> >
> > Yeah - I just through this into the mix, since one
> of
> > the goals was to compare results with other
> servers.
> >
> > If I had to do it right now I would just run
> OpenLDAP
> > on a "Sterilized" server that I'm also running
> apache
> > ds on and then point OpenLDAP to the configuration
> > files in the test directory...which I'm just
> assuming
> > is possible.
> >
> > Then code that archetype's mojo to perform testing
> in
> > a way that is as close to the ADS mojo as
> possible, or
> > precisely the same as the ADS mojo, by making
> perhaps
> > using the same mojo executing the same JNDI code
> on
> > both servers.  Thus the only difference would be /
> > could be configuration server configuration.
> >

> Right there is a distinction between server setup
> and tests which should
> be reusable on different servers.

> > So we are starting with the same inputs, we can
> have
> > many projects that only do performance testing,
> but
> > change the inputs in various ways, and this is
> clean
> > and easy to see, because all the projects have the
> > same structure.
>
> I like this project structure consistency.  I just
> never thought of
> making a new maven project for each kind of test.
> But it does make sense.
>
> My ass backwards thinking was stuffing everything
> into a base JUnit test
> case and extending that for a set of performance
> tests.  Then using a
> maven profile to just run the performance tests.
> And at times this
> won't make sense since we need to bombard the server
> with serveral
> clients.  Meaning the project just launches an LDAP
> server rather than
> running a simple unit test and getting the results.
> The test may never
> end.  An archetype and plugin does break things down
> better.
>
> > For instance we might have a single performance
> > testing project that gets updated and rechecked
> into
> > subversion, but now someone would have to go back
> in
> > time through subversion to see how inputs have
> changed
> > over time, rather than just comparing each
> project.
>
> Makes sense.  The maven peeps have each integration
> test as a separate
> maven project module.
>
> > So we would never check out a performance testing
> > project, change something, run tests, and check it
> > back in, unless we wanted to have that project as

=== message truncated ===