directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Neil A. Wilson" <Neil.A.Wil...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [SLAMD-Discuss] Integrating ApacheDS into Slamd as the directory backend
Date Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:53:04 GMT
On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 01:59 +0300, Ersin Er wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It seems [1] that you have plans on replacing the Directory Backend of
> Slamd with an embedded mechanism. We thought Apache Directory Server
> (ApacheDS) [2] may be the tool you're looking for. ApacheDS is basically
> an LDAP server which also has support for different access protocols
> like NTP, Kerberos etc. And also it can work as embedded. In embedded
> mode you only need to use standard JNDI API to access it.
>
> It may be a good idea to give ApacheDS a try for Slamd. We would like to
> help on any topic related to embedding ApacheDS and even further if you
> need.
>
> ( BTW, we are currently using Slamd to test ApacheDS performance and we
> have also configured ApacheDS as the backend for Slamd. )
>
> Cheers,

I apologize for the delayed response to this proposal.  However, the
work to migrate the SLAMD configuration and data store to an embedded
repository is already complete.  The SLAMD 2.x versions (including the
alpha build that is available) now use the Berkeley DB Java Edition as
the data store for holding this information.  The move to an embedded
database does provide other benefits, like better isolation from changes
in the future (e.g., if I had continued to use a directory server, then
schema updates required to add new features could continue to be an
issue).

I am glad to hear that the ApacheDS project is using SLAMD, and that it
does work as a configuration directory with the 1.x versions.  If you
encounter any problems then please let me know and I'll do my best to
fix them.

Neil