directory-dev mailing list archives

From "John E. Conlon" <jcon...@verticon.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Lowering barrier for perspective committers
Date Sat, 08 Jul 2006 05:05:16 GMT
On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 14:48 -0400, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Timothy Bennett wrote:
> > On 7/6/06, *Alex Karasulu* <aok123@bellsouth.net
> > <mailto:aok123@bellsouth.net>> wrote:
> >
> >     The number of active committers on Apache Directory Server is dwindling
> >     and we have many areas where a single developer has been working alone.
> >     Some email threads have tried to address the issue of the lack of
> >     enough
> >     committers in specific areas: see threads [0] & [1].  So we are
> >     suffering mostly in the following areas:
> >
> >     o OSGi effort,
> >     o Kerberos protocol development,
> >     o Changepw protocol development,
> >     o DHCP protocol development, and
> >     o DNS protocol development.
> >

> > As a former committer at Apache Avalon Merlin project and a current
> > committer at Apache Felix, I'm highly interested in the OSGi effort at
> > Apache Directory, and I'd like to be a part of helping in that effort.
> > However, I know next to nothing about the internals of ADS, but I'm
> > willing to learn.  And a good way may be to dig in and help document the
> > code.
>
> I think we all know your contributions on other projects and your a
> great candidate for this especially with your involvement on Felix.  I
> think it would be nice to have both you and John Conlon working with
> Enrique on this stuff.
>
> BTW code documentation and docs in general are far far more important to
> me than writing the code itself.
Alex you mentioned documentation and an internals class that you were
planing. Have you seen Peter Kriens blog entry
http://www.osgi.org/blog/2006/04/details-are-important-when-you-are.html
on a style of documentation suitable for component and service
development?

Since Enrique has implemented the fundamental components of the ADS OSGi
framework in the 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT,  perhaps we could concentrate on
documenting these components (and thus the major building blocks of ADS)
in the fashion similar to what Peter has suggested in his blog? For your
internals class (and the web site) we could use this documentation as
the high level horizontal documentation. For the details of the
internals you can drill down conceptually and graphically into each
component revealing more details the deeper you go.

The horizontal documentation will be targeted to system engineers,
component assemblers, and system administrators while the internals will
provide the additional details needed for developers.

WDYT?

John