directory-dev mailing list archives

From "John E. Conlon" <jcon...@verticon.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Lowering barrier for perspective committers
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:03:51 GMT
On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 08:12 -0700, Paul Hammant wrote:
> >> o OSGi effort,
> > Would help out all I can to move this forward. Unfortunately the OSGi
> > effort is an effort that requires a big picture view of ADS internals
> > and project direction. My ignorance of both has impeded my efforts to
> > help with much with the OSGi effort to date.
>
> This is a question to many perhaps, what's the fascination with OSGi.
Without wishing to start a jihad as I respect all the great religions in
the world of Java;-) IMO:

OSGi does for jars, packages and intra-jvm services what PicoContainer
(and Spring) do for classes and objects and Jini does for internetwork
services.

> To me it's a horrifyingly over-engineered framework.
Depends what you are trying to do. For somethings I guess it is too
much. But where communities of interest (Like the Eclipse community or
here like the ApacheDS/Mina communities) require their modularized work
efforts to be realized as standardized components that can be hot
swapped in a running jvm I think OSGi is just the ticket.

> If you feel this is inappropriate for this forum, please email me
> back personally.

> * Still making commits to PicoContainer and NanoContainer
(I still love the clarity of PicoContainer and constructor
specification. I even have an OSGi bundle that uses NanoContainer:-)

cheers,
John