directory-dev mailing list archives

From "John E. Conlon" <jcon...@verticon.com>
Subject Re: [discussion] Lowering barrier for perspective committers
Date Thu, 06 Jul 2006 17:08:35 GMT
On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 09:43 -0400, Alex Karasulu wrote:

> The number of active committers on Apache Directory Server is dwindling
> and we have many areas where a single developer has been working alone.
> Some email threads have tried to address the issue of the lack of enough
> committers in specific areas: see threads [0] & [1].
I seem to have had a ringside seat on these.  Apologies if I contributed
adversely to causing a break.

> So we are
> suffering mostly in the following areas:
>
> o OSGi effort,
Would help out all I can to move this forward. Unfortunately the OSGi
effort is an effort that requires a big picture view of ADS internals
and project direction. My ignorance of both has impeded my efforts to
help with much with the OSGi effort to date.

>  For this I personally will start conducting some classes and
> preparing materials for those interested in learning about the internals
> of the server on some interactive medium.  The materials for these
> classes can also serve as a documentation update for our website so
> others can follow these trails.
Would look forward to these internals classes and documentation.

> As for new committers, I think we need to lower the barrier for
> committership while safely integrating these committers into our
> committer base.  One key need is to provide the proper guidance while
> reviewing their activity.  Up to now we've been getting several
> contributions and many are just collecting up in JIRA.
Yes, although most of the OSGi related issues I added were not commented
on by active comitters, I felt it best to just get them in to JIRA to
notify anyone else attempting to work with ADS and OSGi about what
problems and issues they may encounter.

> Possible Drawbacks
> ==================
>
> o Needs some upfront initiative.
> o More process to deal with?
> o Will probies feel like second class committers? Are there social
> ramifications?
Of course by definition they are just that. But that is okay! IMO
'second class committer' or 'mentored committer' sounds better than
'probie';-)

> Thoughts? Comments?
Would be happy to help out the ADS effort anyway I can.

- John