directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Norbet Reilly" <nrh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Detecting LDAP Port busy at start-up (Repost)
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 07:26:54 GMT
here's the repost...
====================

I'm not sure whether to direct this question to the ApachedDS dev
list, or the MINA one...

I use an ApacheDS deployment with a custom partition that replaces an
existing directory installation. I want to detect the situation where
the other directory is already listening on the configured port, at
the time A-DS is started, and abort or at least log a very prominent
message.

With my current limited understanding I am leaning toward adding a
configuration setting to
org.apache.directory.server.configuration.MutableServerStartupConfiguration
(say "abortIfLdapPortInUse=true") and using it in
org.apache.directory.server.jndi.ServerContextFactory.startLDAP0() to
drive an optional check for "already in use" using
ServerSocket.bind().

Similar semantics may make sense for the other protocols that A-DS
supports, in which case it may be a case of a single
"abortIfAnyPortInUse" config item, or perhaps one per protocol.

Anyone have any thoughts or alternative implementation suggestions ?

Thanks