directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: SQL-to-LDAP backend? (was Re: [OT?] user list)
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 19:06:02 GMT
Kristian Rink wrote:

> ... in order to get our user management unified.
> Most of our user data currently is stored within
> a relational database

> I'd like to expose those information (at least
> read-only) using LDAP.

Years and years ago, when Alex and I were first talking about LDAPd, designs
were put in place to handle virtualizing non-local data into the DIT.  At
some point, those should come to fruition within ApacheDS, itself.  Requests
for entries and attributes can be passed downstream.

To represent entire subtrees in the DIT would be rather more work, as you
would have to deal with contexts.

In the meantime, although it would not be quite as transparent, you can
store Java objects in the DIT, and those can be your connector to downstream
data.  By clever use of attributes and generic connectors, you can store the
connector's parameters in the entry as parameters, rather than embedded in
the serialized object.  Lots of options.  Your call.

	--- Noel