directory-dev mailing list archives

From Quanah Gibson-Mount <qua...@stanford.edu>
Subject Re: Various questions
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 07:05:19 GMT

--On Monday, June 05, 2006 7:02 AM -0400 Alex Karasulu
<aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking at apache DS as compared to OpenLDAP, and have an initial
>> set of questions:
>>
>> (a) is it possible to bulk load an LDIF file while the server is
>> offline? If yes, how?
>
> No there is no way to do this presently.  What benefit to you get from
> offline loads?

At least with OpenLDAP, doing an offline load with slapadd is substantially
faster than doing an ldapadd, if you are wanting to load a large database.

>> (b) If I choose to load an LDIF file via the server.xml file, is the
>> beginning and end of the load logged, so that a timing mark can be
>> drawn from it?
>
> The file is marked as loaded.  Any changes to the file will not
> propagate into the DIT.  To force the server to reload the ldif file you
> just need to remove the entry for the loaded file under ou=loadedLdifs
> (or something like that) under ou=configuration,ou=system.

I don't think you understand my question.  I want to know how long it takes
Apache DS to load an LDIF file.

>> (c) How does one tune the underlying database?
>
> Silly but all parameters are hardcoded right now.  We will expose cache
> parameters soon.
>

>> (d) Is there any way to tune an entry cache, etc, for Apache DS?
>
> We need to expose this as well.
>

>> (e) When one specifies an index for an attribute, I see no way to
>> differentiate between equality, substring, presence, etc.  If an
>> attribute is indexed, is it then simply indexed for all possible
>> search methods?
>
> That is correct.  ApacheDS does not support approximate matching which
> defaults to equality match FYI.

Approximate matching is not the same thing as substring indexing.

>> (f) Are there any other general guidelines for tuning Apache DS?
>

> Really many tunable parameters have not been exposuted.  We'll try to
> get some of these parameters out and in the hands of users in the next
> release candidate.

Okay.

--Quanah

--