directory-dev mailing list archives

From Quanah Gibson-Mount <qua...@stanford.edu>
Subject RE: Various questions
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 06:11:22 GMT

--On Tuesday, June 06, 2006 12:50 AM -0400 "Noel J. Bergman"
<noel@devtech.com> wrote:

> Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
>
>> I think the concept of applying all indexing to attributes is in itself
>> broken.
>
> So is your suggestion that the option be made available, but that by
> indexing selectively, Alex's concerns can be effectively addressed?  Do
> you have any suggestions as to how that might be provided without losing
> ease-of-use for the most common cases?

Well, in OpenLDAP, the way ease of use is met is by users being able to
define a default index type or types.  That way, they can specify the
default set, and then just use index <attribute>, similar to what is being
done in Apache DS.

I think it is important to allow specification of what indices to use for a
given attribute for a few reasons.  One, that you can use it to actually
make some searches slow enough to hinder efforts (like we have a spam
troller routinely trying to get data from our sources that is fairly
obnoxious), another is that the more indices you have on an attribute, the
larger the total database is, and the longer it takes to load.  This of
course depends on part in the OS/Cpu used as well.  For example, I
currently index 90 attributes in my database to varying degrees (most are
eq, which is a fairly minimal index).  On my Solaris sparc systems, it
takes 2.5ish hours to load the database.  On my new AMD systems that'll be
replacing the Sun Sparc boxes, it takes all of 14.5 minutes.  However, if
all 90 of those attributes were getting indexed pres,eq,sub, the amount of
time to load would increase significantly.

Currently, my indices take up 1.1GB of disk space in OpenLDAP (I'm not sure
how that exactly map out in Apache DS).  My database entry file takes
2.7GB.  So my indices are approximately 1/3 of my database size.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer