directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <>
Subject [ApacheDS] Performance testing
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:23:40 GMT

Need Benchmarking/Profiling Perf Suite (BPPS) for ApacheDS

I just sat down in front of my machine and wanted to run some
performance tests on the server.  These questions came up:

o What tests do I run?
o What LDIF should I import first before running those tests?
o Which version of the server should I run these tests against?
o Can I run these tests against other LDAP servers?

I did the first thing anyone would do.  I tapped Emmanuel on the
shoulder to ask him for his materials for his AC EU presentation.  I did
not want to repeat the work that he had already done.

Please Emmanuel take no offense but I found the setup and repeated work
to be a bit of a hassle.  I'm sure you were bothered by doing things
manually yourself.  Plus I wanted to profile these tests too inside
Eclipse using Yourkit.  Anyway I came to a final conclusion:

*Conclusion*: We need some repeatable benchmarking/profiling perfromance
test suite for ApacheDS that can be run easily.

Requirements for BPPS

Here's what I started asking myself for internally.  Please add to this
list if you can think of other requirements.

(1a) Need repeatable performance tests with setup prep and tear down
(1b) Tests should be able to load an initial data set (LDIF) into server
(2) I should be able to use Maven or ant to kick off these tests
(3) Tests should produce some kind of report
(4) Tests should easily be pointed to benchmark other servers
(5) Make it easy to create a new performance test.
(6) I want a summary of the conditions in the test report which include
the setup parameters for:
	o operations performed
	o capacity,
 	o concurrency,
	o hardware.
	o operating system

Existing work and potential approaches

I figured using JUnit was the best way to test ApacheDS or anyother
server.  Plus I could setUp and tearDown test cases.  The only thing I
needed to do was make a base test case or two for the various apacheds
configurations (embedded testing verses full networked testing).

The first base test case, for embedded testing, was setup here:

Yeah it's weak and I'll try to add to it.  What I would like to do is
invite people to work with me on setting up this
benchmarking/profiling/perf testing framework.

Comments? Thoughts?

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Thunderbird -

View raw message