directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Various questions
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 01:32:36 GMT
Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Monday, June 05, 2006 7:54 PM -0400 Alex Karasulu
> <aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> Quanah,
>>
>> Well I'm glad someone from Symas Corp.  is on this list.  However you're
>> just trying to make ApacheDS look bad while promoting OpenLDAP.  That's
>> not too sincere when we're trying to answer your questions to the best
>> of our ability.
>

> Actually, I'm not trying to make Apache look bad at all, and although
> I do work part time for Symas, that is not my primary occupation.
>
>> We're not here to compete.  We appreciate OpenLDAP and the work done
>> there.
>

> Did I say it was?
>
>> Now your less than friendly tone makes total sense.
>

> If you think my observations on indexing are related to the above, you
> are quite mistaken.  As noted, my observations come from 7 years of
> running a directory service.  If you aren't interested in advice from
> someone who actually deals with directory services in a large scale
> production environment every day, fine, ignore them.  But that's
> certainly not a good way to go to improve the product.

Come on dooood.  We're not plants over here.  We can read into the
subtle tone you injected into your email.  Several people contacted me
off list about your attitude and that's when google made it all clear.

When people post to this list to ask about stuff they don't have a you
"guys are flawed because ... " attitude even if they disagree.  That's
just not how you interact with people even if they're messing something
up.  You can tell us something does not work for your needs and here's
why we should consider doing it another way.

Anyway yes we are interested in your input.  Anything we can do to make
ADS better we want to hear it.  Please feel welcome but don't be shocked
if people sense something is off.

Alex