directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Various questions
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 21:25:38 GMT
Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Monday, June 05, 2006 2:54 PM -0400 Alex Karasulu
> <aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>>> I assume it should also handle approx, which is not the same as
>>> substring.
>>

>> No as I mentioned before ApacheDS does not do approximate matching and
>> so it does not have an option to create approx indices.
>

> Right, my point was, I'd assume that should be added, so that it could
> be supported....

I don't find the approx matching algorithms based on soundex etc to be
all that useful.  Plus the indices get bloated and the server's write
performance diminishes much faster.  Approx indices must generate all
the varients of a word using these algorithms which can be large.  Every
add, del or modify operation then must regenerate these soundex
derivatives for the old value as well as new values in the modify op.
Keep in mind also some attributes will be multivalued so the explosion
can be quit large.

IMO approx match is one of those things that was a good idea but is not
critical or used all that much.  If we find the time or if you're
interested you can implement this feature.  For now no index is created
for approx matching.

Alex