directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Various questions
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:02:13 GMT
Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at apache DS as compared to OpenLDAP, and have an initial
> set of questions:
>
> (a) is it possible to bulk load an LDIF file while the server is
> offline? If yes, how?

No there is no way to do this presently.  What benefit to you get from
offline loads?

> (b) If I choose to load an LDIF file via the server.xml file, is the
> beginning and end of the load logged, so that a timing mark can be
> drawn from it?

The file is marked as loaded.  Any changes to the file will not
propagate into the DIT.  To force the server to reload the ldif file you
just need to remove the entry for the loaded file under ou=loadedLdifs
(or something like that) under ou=configuration,ou=system.

> (c) How does one tune the underlying database?

Silly but all parameters are hardcoded right now.  We will expose cache
parameters soon.

> (d) Is there any way to tune an entry cache, etc, for Apache DS?

We need to expose this as well.

> (e) When one specifies an index for an attribute, I see no way to
> differentiate between equality, substring, presence, etc.  If an
> attribute is indexed, is it then simply indexed for all possible
> search methods?

That is correct.  ApacheDS does not support approximate matching which
defaults to equality match FYI.

> (f) Are there any other general guidelines for tuning Apache DS?

Really many tunable parameters have not been exposuted.  We'll try to
get some of these parameters out and in the hands of users in the next
release candidate.

Alex