directory-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe+apa...@sunstarsys.com>
Subject Re: cvs.apache.org and minotaur.apache.org
Date Sat, 20 May 2006 03:33:00 GMT
"Noel J. Bergman" <noel@devtech.com> writes:

>> I've found that cvs.apache.org and svn.apache.org points to
>> a different IP address than minotaur.apache.org .
>
> Yes.  As we have told people on many occassions, DO NOT USE HOST NAMES.

Since you x-posted this to infra, I should point out that
this rule doesn't always apply.  Maintaining hosts is different
from providing public-facing services.  During the svn move
to minotaur, many bugs in our existing scripts, crons, and
config files were exposed by the dns changeover.

>> this is related with the recent vote there about releasing
>> Maven POM which changes the host name of the deployment
>> machine from cs.apache.org to minotaur.apache.org.

Agreed "minotaur" is a very bad choice here.  Those files
are currently being served by people, and there has been
some talk about a finding more suitable place for them,
perhaps build.apache.org or somesuch.  people is fine
with me, but this might need to be mulled over by the group.

--
Joe Schaefer