directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Code based on a one man show is bad news ( was: Re: [Fwd: svn commit: r408142 - ... )
Date Wed, 24 May 2006 13:47:37 GMT
Enrique Rodriguez wrote:
> On 5/23/06, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>     directory/sandbox/erodriguez/configuration/   (props changed)
>>     directory/sandbox/erodriguez/kerberos-sam/   (props changed)
>>     directory/sandbox/erodriguez/preferences/   (props changed)
>>     directory/sandbox/erodriguez/useradmin/   (props changed)
>>
>> I should have been more explicit.  What I wanted you to explain was some
>> of code movement you intended into Felix of preferences and other
>> services.  However you never talked to this list about it.  The commit
>> was in preparation for this work.  I know you're smart enough to
>> understand why I initially brought up this particular commit.
>
> Gotcha.  So, these modules breakdown into 2 groups, OSGi services and
> Kerberos SAM:
>> There has been very little light shed on the work you've been doing on
>> OSGi and you seem to be avoiding the topic.  I want it out in the open.
>
> My OSGi efforts have been focused on the "Felix" project, which is
> maybe why it appears I am avoiding the topic on the "Directory"
> project.  W.r.t. these specific services I would like to continue
> development as part of the Felix project.  Since they are written to
> the JNDI interfaces, there is actually little effect on greater
> ApacheDS development.
>
> W.r.t. merging other OSGi work in the 1.1 branch I will be sure to
> layout a plan shortly.  I did a flurry of work to get ApacheDS
> assembling with Felix to get a demo together for JavaOne.  I apologize
> for not having the time to detail my plan.
You don't need that much to be said.   10 minutes to explain what you're
up to and to
invite others to join you is enough.  You probably spent more time
responding to these emails.

You're doing a great job with the OSGi work but it's not just about
writing the code.  You have
to involve others.  Your current track record shows little if any
community interaction with the
existing committer base.   Everything you've done up to this point has
been a one man show.   IMO it's because
of the secluded way in which you work.  I'd be fine if it was a simple
feature but it's not.   You've added
entire services to ApacheDS alone and much of it lacks documentation.
Much of the code you've written in
solitary can only be supported by you as a result.  Now this puts this
project at risk as well as the ASF.

If we cannot get more people involved there is no community.  Without
community we may have to put
some projects into the Incubator.  These are the dangers that I as a
chair worry about.  I don't want this
to happen but we will not have a choice if you continue to work in
isolation without wrapping community
around your work.

You just need to start stressing community interaction as much as
writing code.  You've written enough
already.  I would like to see you bring people to it and form community
around it.  OSS is not about
the technology/code but about the community.

So we're treading on thin ice.  We have Kerberos, DNS, NTP, and DHCP as
one man projects.  I *really* commend
your herculean effort in getting these out there but we have serious
warning signs.  When I see you continuing
on this same track with the OSGi work I start to worry.  Hence these emails.

Are my concerns founded?

Alex