directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Attributes and DN question
Date Sat, 13 May 2006 09:57:40 GMT
Thanks Alex for the comments.

>> I've created it. It mixes ModificationItems and Entries, with a DN, so
>> we cover all the cases.
>
> Did you have a look at the existing LDIF classes in shared-ldap ? Were
> they inadequate .. I know some features were not there.  Also years
> ago Jeff Machols had worked on some LDIF code in the clients
> libraries.  Unless there is some extra ordinary reason we should not
> reinvent the wheel?

You bet I did ! I used them too, because they where there. It's
difficult to reinvent the wheel on such a matter, because RFC 2849 is so
restrictive that it does not leave you with many room to show how smart
you can be !!! However, the actual implementation has some problems :
- DIRSERVER 604 ( support of :< file://...)
- DIRSERVER 618 ( support of changetype attribute )
- DIRSERVER-187 ( multi-lines not accepted ) (Was DIRSERVER-199)
- Added Control handling
- There is a bad bug in value handling : "cn:valid name" is transformed
to cn -> 'alid name' (the 'v' is deleted)

So I just considered reuse a LdifReader I wrote last year, before I knew
about ADS (and it was the reason I lookad at ADS : I wanted to know if
the Ldif Reader implementation was better than mine, and at this point,
I was totally fascinated by the work done on ADS, so I stopped working
on ldif). It was a piece of software I ported from a previous C#
implementation I did too.

I don't know, at this point, if it can be called a NIH syndrom ? May be
a little bit, because I didn't had the feeling to fix the existing code
while mine was almost working, so I decided to merge both, resuing (
with small modification) LdifEntry (renamed to Entry to avoid code breakage)

>> btw, I'm not sure that allowing the server to injext a ldif file
>> whenstarting is such a good idea... Let me elaborate a lil bit : what
>> if your server is restarted? The ldif will be injected again. And that
>> may not be the expected behavior. wdyt ?
>
> The server puts an entry into the ou=system area about the ldifs it
> loaded.  It remembers what it has loaded. This is not the greatest
> thing in the world but it was a great way to get apps built on top of
> apacheds to
> load an initial LDIF file.

Ok, cool ! I wasn't aware of that. Makes it totally sane, then. At
least, for embeded servers, it's a much better solution than to force
the user to import some data using an API. Forget about my objection.

>> It could be better to have a tool to inject Ldif entries and changes
>> into the server (like LdifDe). IMHO :)
>
> Well there is the apacheds-tools module.  I intended to put this
> functionality there as well as some command line clients.

I gonna check that. I guess it's in sandbox, so I will ressucicate it.

Thanks Alex !