directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Norbet Reilly" <nrh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] Anyone know why we're loosing case sensitivity for attribute identifiers with modify operations?
Date Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:49:18 GMT
I've also had a few run-ins with lowercase being forced which, as you
state, is not incorrect behaviour but is upsetting an incorrectly
case-sensitive legacy application.

My work-around (hack) is far from elegant, but I added a boolean
"normalize=false" which I pass in to the main program on the command
line (was too dangerous to set in the server.xml file due to Spring's
lazy instantiation) which I then use to basically turn off the
lowercasing in "String StringTools.lowerCase()" and "String
StringTools.deepTrim(String str, boolean toLowerCase)". On reflection,
perhaps I should use a system property to set the normalize flag.

While doing this I noted some places that weren't calling these
methods but instead doing the lowercasing directly, so I've included
my patch (for reference rather then suggesting you apply it) against
trunks/shared .

Perhaps these are the methods are also causing your problems... In
particular shared/ldap/util/NamespaceTools.java may be problematic if
it is actually being used.

As a side note: what are the feeling about future support of a
"non-normalized" mode (obviously using a less hacky approach, or at
least renaming the methods to StringTools.possiblyNormalize() etc) for
use by clients which:
    a. Are using ApacheDS only as a host for proxy partitions and wish
to avoid an uneccessary performance hit
    b. Are dealing with legacy clients which incorrectly expect case sensitivity
    c. Are prepared to guarantee consistency in the case of
DNs/attribute names to achieve some performance gains?