directory-dev mailing list archives

From Enrique Rodriguez <enriqu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrading the OSGi
Date Thu, 27 Apr 2006 18:01:49 GMT
Ceki Gülcü wrote:

> I recently read part of the OSGI spec to become familiar with it. Is
> there any support you would like to see included directly in SLF4J that
> could make life easier for you?

Thanks for offering.  We don't want to host a logging bundle effort
here.  So, some basic features we need:

o  Best thing you could do is bundlize existing jars.  The manifest
header entries needed for OSGi won't affect anybody.  At a minimum you'd
add export statements.  Adding an Activator like John's would add a
compile time dep on OSGi framework API.
o  Logging bundle retrievable from M2 repos.
o  Basic export statements in manifest header for logging packages,
namely org.slf4j and org.apache.log4j.
o  A way to reset logging levels without stopping the whole server.
When John submits his logging Activator via JIRA you could take that
over.  Resetting logging levels by stop/starting the logging bundle is a
fine way.

Enrique