directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Scalability Questions
Date Tue, 18 Apr 2006 07:13:30 GMT
Alex Karasulu a écrit :

> Hi Mark,
>
> MarkD wrote:
>
>> Hi,

<snip/>

>> 2) how many users does Apache DS support?
>
> Don't know yet I have not tried to fill it up.  I do know the
> theoretical limit for a single partition which is Integer.MAX 2^32-1.

This is complicated. It depends if you mean connected users, or possible
users. I'm not 100% sure that ADS could store 1 million entries, but I
bet it can. If you want to know if we can handle 1 million connected
users, I bet the answer is no. I'm afraid that we can't even handle more
than 32765 simultaneous connected users, but odes it make sense ?
Generally speaking, a user does not keep a connection open for hours ...

Can you told us if users mean "connected" users, or just entries in the
server ?

<snip/>

>> 4) what are the best practices for initially loading the directory
>> with a
>> large number of users?
>
> Hmmm I recommend making sure you have the right indices created before

yep, for sure. If you don't have the right indices, then your server
will just crawl down. However, the best solution is definitively to use
a ldif file if you want to import millions of entries.

Emmanuel