directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Scalability Questions
Date Mon, 17 Apr 2006 22:52:57 GMT
Hi Mark,

MarkD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a few questions regarding Apache Directory scaling to a large number
> of users (>100k, up to 1 million).

We're in the process of testing and discovering these aspects of the
server with quantitative data to show performance degradation with the
side of the database.  Emmanuel is working on this btw.
> 1) what is the default persistence implementation?
The default implementation is based on JDBM a B+Tree implementation in Java.

> 2) how many users does Apache DS support?

Don't know yet I have not tried to fill it up.  I do know the
theoretical limit for a single partition which is Integer.MAX 2^32-1.
> 3) is performance related to number of users?

Should not really be since the BTree will scale well.  But I cannot say
definitively without performing these tests and having conclusive data
to give you.
> 4) what are the best practices for initially loading the directory with a
> large number of users?

Hmmm I recommend making sure you have the right indices created before
> 5)what are the best practices / tradeoffs sessions & are they directly
> correlated with JNDI InitialContext’s?

Could you restate this question having trouble understanding it?

Alex